Sunday 5 January 2014

Forward Planning for 2014

The view of the Hogmanay fireworks from my living room. 
It's not the end of the festive season yet. I have the luxury of not having to go to work until 8.15 tomorrow morning, which means that it is still the "holidays". Sort of. I've had a fortnight off, which has been utterly lovely, but incredibly busy. The first week was spent in Yorkshire, seeing family and friends, and "doing" Christmas. The second week has been mostly spent in Edinburgh, and it's gone way too quickly. In a good way - full of friends and cake - but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed about the list of tasks which I've not got around to doing. I always have grand plans for productivity for holidays, which always fall by the wayside.

I've spent the first few days of 2014 doing a bit of forward planning. I find list writing therapeutic, which is probably how I am now addicted to Pinterest. How did I not discover it before? I've decided against resolutions for 2014, and instead have decided to adopt a word, after seeing a few people discussing it on twitter. I like it. It's a lot more positive.
credit
I will grow fruit and vegetables. Last year I took my first step onto the property ladder. Although I am on the top floor, my flat does have shared access to a garden. It's not received any love for a couple of years, so I have decided to take over part of it and attempt a vegetable plot. I am excited, but also have no idea how or where to start. 

I will grow fitter and stronger. I will continue walking home from work, and try harder to allow time to walk there too. I will swim more regularly, because it is relaxing as well as strengthening. I would like to get strong enough to move into the advanced Pilates class.

I will grow my recipe repertoire. I tend to cook the same things on a rotational basis for weekday dinners, so I will try some new ideas and think outside the box a little more.

I will grow my skills. I will practice my photography and learn how to use editing software. I will remind myself how to sew. I will crochet, because it is both relaxing and satisfying. I will write more, because I enjoy it, and because you don't get better at something unless you practice. 

2 comments:

  1. My word, which is similar in some ways, is LEARN. I look forward to reading about all the growth! I should grow stuff, we have a big garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your word for the year. I think it sets an intention :)

    ReplyDelete