Sunday 12 October 2014

Edinburgh: St Bernard's Well

There's a quote somewhere about a weekend well spent means a week of content. I agree with that one - I am a rather big fan of getting out, seeing some greenery, or feeling like I've achieved something (even if that achievement is the entire box set of Broadchurch in one weekend. Ahem).

Doors Open Day is the last weekend of September in Edinburgh. It's such a good opportunity to have a nosey around some of the most stunning buildings in the city - most of which are not usually open to the public. I decided on the Sunday morning that I'd drag myself out the house before the rain started, and potter over to Stockbridge to see the newly renovated St Bernard's Well.

St Bernard's Well lies between Stockbridge and Dean Village - two affluent city centre suburbs joined by the Water of Leith walkway. It's such a lovely short stroll, dipping down a side street, under the bridge, and onto the path that runs between the two. The Well was discovered by two boys fishing in the 1750s back when the area was part of the land belonging to the St Bernard's Estate, far outside of the city limits. The current well house, built in 1789, tapped in to the reputation of the well as a healing source and encouraged wealthy tourists to come, sit, drink the waters and rest for a while. The Well, combined with the beautiful statue of Hygieia, was part of Edinburgh's Twelve Monuments project. It was so lovely to sneak in and see it restored and working.

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Gorgeous photos. I really like your photography posts.

    I'll need to have a wander there when I'm through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel better about myself when I've spent the weekend wisely. Too often I give in to the lure of the sofa and a good book, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I would like to spend more time out and about. Thanks for the reminder to get off my bum more often and explore my city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos! Weekends feel longer the more you have done with them. I love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete