Thursday 6 November 2014

Exploring: Lisbon

I've just spent 4 days in Lisbon. I didn't really know what to expect - if I'm honest, it wasn't really on my radar as a place to visit before the chance popped up. I think that made exploring enjoyable though. No preconceptions or assumptions about what I would see or where I would go, just a couple of days of wandering and exploring. 

There were things I was expecting - plazas with fountains and pavement cafes. Narrow streets and old buildings. North African and Indian influences. Seafood. Pastries. All the pastries. There were also things I was surprised by - how varied the architecture is, going from faded grandeur to brutalist to modern in a single street. The warm temperature. The beggars and homeless, mostly men, almost all disabled. A city of contrasts.

It's a photogenic place, if unusual buildings and small details are your cup of tea. I may have got a bit overexcited with my camera. In the mean time - a few pictures from my phone.


3 comments:

  1. Portugal looks amazing - so glad you had a good time.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful. The photo with the pixellated writing really confused by poor sleep-deprived brain though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful - glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete